Thursday, February 21, 2013

TRAVELING SOLO: WHIRLING DERVISHES





THE VICISSITUDES OF TRAVELING SOLO Part II: WHIRLING DERVISHES

2000 KONYA, TURKEY

In “Traveling Solo: Part One” I described my good luck in connecting with Ahmed who helped me use the phone, find a hotel, and then led me to the soccer stadium where I secured the last ticket to the Whirling Dervish performance. Had I been traveling with a friend, I would have been reluctant to give up the seat to her, but also unwilling to take it for myself. So, in this instance, traveling alone saved me from having to deal with that dilemma.

A couple of hours after Ahmed left me at the hotel I retraced my steps to the stadium where the performance would take place. I scarcely recognized the bright new look flooding the streets. Gone were the frumpy, gray cloaks that dominated the scene earlier that afternoon. Hundreds of splendidly dressed men and women poured out of tour buses. Men wore western suits. Women were draped in fashionable, flowing silk scarves. The stadium, a cavernous cold, gray place, was made lively by men and women selling beads, sweets, images of saints and other religious trinkets. The marriage of commerce and holiness -common as it is - always surprised me. I wondered what Mevlana would have made of it all. 

Mevlana, born Celaleddin Rumi in 1207, escaped massacre by Mongols in central Asia, settled in Konya, and became a much beloved Sufi mystic and poet. He instructed his followers to “pursue all manifestations of truth and beauty, whilst avoiding ostentation,” and to “practice infinite tolerance, love and charity.” Mevlana revered music and dance, and founded the Whirling Dervishes, or sema, which is believed to create union with God.  

My assigned seat was high up in the stadium, and it was hot. I hadn’t slept enough the night before, and I soon felt overwhelmed by drowsiness, unable to stay fully awake, yet too uncomfortable to fall asleep. I was relieved when a couple of dozen musicians finally entered the far end of a stage, so small and distant it was dwarfed by the rest of the huge stadium. The musicians set up long metallic looking tubes and string instruments in shapes I had never seen. From my seat half way to Heaven, I couldn’t see them clearly. 

The sounds began. Low dirge-like emanations alternated with higher, almost screeching, notes. If there was a rhythm or melody, it escaped me. A man stepped to a microphone and spoke in a low sonorous drone, perhaps explaining what had been played or what we were about to hear. I wished I could understand. Where was Ahmed when I needed him? I might even have welcomed a guide. But if I were a mystic, maybe I wouldn’t need to understand the literal words. I might simply intuit the message. A mystic probably wouldn’t be distracted by the hard bench with no back.

Other speakers, including two women, alternated with the music. Mevlana, according to my guidebook, had advocated a higher status for women in religious and public life. Perhaps he would have been pleased to hear the women speaking. At times I thought the performers were praying, at others they sounded like poets. Perhaps for Mevlana, a religious poet, it was all the same. The recitations soothed me, nudging me even closer to a desperate need to sleep. As my head drooped, I silently complained that they hadn’t started their ecstatic dancing to wake me up.

After half an hour we were given a break, and I didn’t know whether to be sorrowful or glad. The glad part was the opportunity to take a little walk, a moment’s respite from my sleepy doldrums. The negative side was that I would have to endure still another wait. On the stairs and in the hallways women and men I thought of as "trinketeers" peddled holy medals and images, and crowds gathered around them, eager to buy. 

The intermission had energized me, and I returned to my seat fully alert. Soon, men dressed in ankle length black cloaks entered the court in a two-by-two procession. The pace was funereal. Slowly, each man discarded his cloak.  I had read that the tall camel’s hair hats they wore represented a tombstone. The cloak stood for the tomb itself, and the white gowns for the shroud. Shedding the cloaks symbolized leaving the tomb, and casting off all earthly ties. Entering into this ethereal world would be a challenge for me, but its very strangeness intrigued me. This was what foreign travel was about, wasn’t it?

Taking small, graceful, stylized steps, each pair of men, about twenty paces apart from each other, inched around the arena. There were perhaps a dozen duos, in all. The stadium floor seemed as large as a football field, and it took slightly less than forever to traverse just one side of it. At the far end of the arena the seyh, or current head man, awaited each pair, who turned toward him briefly, then bowed to each other. The seyh leaned forward and appeared to kiss each of them on the tops of their heads. The pair straightened, making room for the next pair to approach, bend, bow and, receive the kiss. They then proceeded to twirl around the other side of the arena. Was this the twirling? The performers were turning around and around, but not at the fast pace I had expected. Slowly, they advanced around the periphery of the arena several times. I had arrived at 8:30. It was now 10:10. 

At last. What seems to be more serious whirling begins. Cloaks gone, each man’s white gown, with its full A-line cut, creates a swirl of soft white. Expectantly, I wait for the dancers to spin faster, and faster and faster, toward a state of ecstasy. That is my fantasy about ecstasy. As a child I had delighted in holding my arms straight out from my sides, while I spun around and around as fast as possible, thoroughly dizzy, until I collapsed onto the ground in a paroxysm of joy and confusion. Ecstasy. But in watching the performers, that childhood association turns out to be way off the mark. 

The dancers continue at the same pace, still in pairs, and gradually circle the court, as they whirl opposite each other. Twirling, whirling, still slowly, their delicate steps resemble no dance I have seen. Skirts flow gracefully around them. With each twirl they advance a few steps until every pair has made the revolution of the arena, and then they float around again. There is something almost girlish, something very sweet, about the sameness of the pace, the steps, the billowing skirts. The dancers, my guide book says, represent the heavenly bodies, revolving in their own space, at the same time as they revolve around the court. There are three stages of the dance: knowledge of God, awareness of God’s presence, and union with God. But I am unable to distinguish one from the other. Each performer points his right hand upward, and his left to the floor. This gesture signifies that grace emanates from the heavens and is distributed to the people. The Dervishes represent the symbolic conduit. 

I am mesmerized. As if mimicking the dancers, I float in an ephemeral universe, coasting along, somewhere between sleep and wakefulness. But now I’m content to bask forever in that altered state. I would not call it ecstasy. I am not in a condition that’s frenetic, excited, or high. It feels closer to zoned out. Dreamy. Or meditative. Whatever it is, I’m content with it.

But, ever so slowly, deliberately, as if in a trance, the dancers once more pull their black cloaks around their shoulders. It is as if a reel is running backwards, at the same languorous pace as the whirling began. I postpone facing the reality that the performance - and my wondrous, mental free-fall - will soon disappear. I am not yet ready to re-enter the frenetic, jangling world. The dancers make their round of the court one more time and then they are gone, wafting off the stage, like ether. They have spirited themselves away, but left me in a state of serenity. I am aware of a faint smile on my face, and hazily remember that once I might have called such an expression sappy. Now I am pleased to be in the lap of a tradition where all is foreign to me.

I muse about the meaning of the dancers’ religious ecstasy, and try to prepare for my transition into worldliness. Lazily, I let my gaze sweep over the vast stadium walls, which are covered with dark red drapes of rich velvet. In graceful folds, they fall from ceiling to floor. White loops of what is apparently Arabic script appear. Their graceful curves, mysterious to my Western sensibility, dance across the cloth, and I am enchanted. Do they spell out a prayer? A poem? With my eye, I trace them. But a moment later a slight shift in the drape makes the white lettering clearer. The “graceful curves” spell out a different message in very different, very large letters:

COCA COLA

No comments:

Post a Comment